First, look in EDUCAT to make sure you have the correct location and call number. If you still can’t find the item, you have several options:
- Your fastest option is to check CLIO (Columbia University’s online catalog) to see whether or not a copy is available at another Columbia library.
- If the item you are looking for is not listed as checked out, but not on the shelf, you can place a trace request for the library staff to search for the missing book. This can take a couple of days to complete.
- If the item you are looking for is listed as checked out, you may request a recall. This can take up to two weeks.
- If the item is not owned by any other library in the Columbia system or is determined to be lost, you may Request the library re-acquire it. This can take anywhere from a few days to four weeks. Please note, however, that requests for materials available within the Columbia system will not be filled.
- Another option is to check other local libraries. Ask a librarian to determine where the item might be held and to arrange entrance to other institutions via an official referral from our library.