If you need to use books, journals, or other media not available in our library or any of the Columbia University Libraries, we can help you to identify libraries elsewhere in the metropolitan area where the materials may be found. You have access to some libraries, such as those that make up the New York Public Library system, without restriction. 

In other cases--to visit the Bank Street College Library, or NYU Bobst library, for example, or any of the City University of New York (CUNY) libraries--you must obtain official referral from our library to gain access to the collections. Our library participates in the Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) consortium of libraries, and a librarian at Teachers College can issue you a METRO card for use either of a specific item or of a subject collection at another METRO library. A METRO card will allow you access to another library for a limited period of time, and you must use materials onsite. Ask for details at the Services Desk on the first floor of the library.